Wedding Cake Recipes For Your Do-It-Yourself Reception
If it is a small and intimate reception you are planning to have, here are some wedding cake recipes that you can use in baking your own wedding cake.
Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page for how-to help in baking your wedding cake. (Source: allrecipes.com)
Wedding Cake by Larisa Townsend
"This is a very simple moist white cake. It works best if all of the ingredients are at room temperature."
PREP TIME 20 Min; COOK TIME 1 Hr; READY IN 1 Hr 20 Min
Servings Per Recipe: 24
Original recipe yield 1 - 9x13 inch pan or 1 - 10 inch Bundt pan
* 1 cup butter, softened * 3 cups white sugar * 7 eggs * 1 tablespoon vanilla extract * 3 cups all-purpose flour * 1/4 teaspoon baking powder * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda * 1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or a 10 inch Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix until all of the flour is absorbed. Finally, stir in the sour cream. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes just to be sure there are no lumps. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean. For Bundt cakes, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
White Wedding Cake by Carol
"This is a great white wedding cake for those of you who like it plain. When I was a child, one of my neighbors who was elderly made a lot of wedding cakes for family and other people, and she took great pride in her work. She used fancy staircases you get in cake decorating stores, and even crocheted certain decorations. All is in your imagination. No professional baker did what she did. Be creative."
Servings Per Recipe: 50
* 5 1/4 cups sifted cake flour * 6 teaspoons baking powder * 2 teaspoons salt * 2 cups white sugar * 8 egg whites * 1 cup white sugar * 1 cup shortening * 2 cups milk * 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract * 1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Beat egg whites until foamy with sturdy egg beater, or at high speed of electric mixer. Then add 1 cup sugar gradually, beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
2. In a large bowl, stir shortening just to soften. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups sugar; sift into shortening. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and the extracts, and mix until all flour is dampened. Beat 2 minutes at a low speed of electric mixer. Add remaining milk and the meringue mixture; beat for 1 minute more.
3. Line the bottoms of one 10 inch square pan and two 8 inch square pans with parchment paper. Pour batter to equal depth in each pan.
4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 45 minutes, or until done. Cool layers.
5. Trim one of the 8 inch square cakes to make a 5 inch square cake. Place the 10 inch cake on a large flat tray or plate. Frost top and sides with thin layer of Ornamental Icing. Cover top of cake smoothly with more frosting. Center 8 inch cake on top of 10 inch cake, and frost as above. Center 5 inch cake on 8 inch cake, and frost. Spread frosting over entire cake to give a flat, even base for decorating. Decorate as desired. Italian Wedding Cake by Bosque
"This is a bride's cake. It was served at a very dear friends wedding."
PREP TIME 1 Hr; COOK TIME 35 Min; READY IN 1 Hr 35 Min
Original recipe yield 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
Servings Per Recipe: 10
* 1/2 cup buttermilk * 1 teaspoon baking soda * 1 teaspoon salt * 1/2 cup shortening * 1/2 cup margarine * 2 cups white sugar * 5 egg yolks * 1/4 teaspoon almond extract * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract * 2 cups all-purpose flour * 5 egg whites * 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple * 1/2 cup flaked coconut * 1 cup chopped pecans * 3/4 cup butter, softened * 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened * 4 cups confectioners' sugar * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract * 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
3. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
Click the following links below for more help in baking your own wedding cake.